Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Adventure Time

When I was a kid I always wrote thank you notes and I wanted to make sure my kids knew how important it was to be thankful too. Instead of a boring, 'thanks for ______' which is still a good card (if I do say so myself) I like to challenge my kids to make them more personal.

When they get a gift that's not for a birthday or holiday, but just because - I tell them about the person who gave them the present. Why they received the gift, what the person who gave it to them likes, that sort of thing.

My friend Christine gave the boys an amazing present out of the blue for no reason and I wanted to make sure they thanked her for being so kind. I told the Kid that she loves Adventure Time, plus we are big Pen Ward fans around here, so he decided to draw her a picture.
Back in the day when I wanted to draw a duplicate of a cartoon I loved I had to go get a blank vhs tape, stick it in, hit play+record, and then rewind to just the right frame, pause and then try and recreate the image while staring at a slightly blurred screen. Whew. The old days were hard work.

Nowadays my kids just google what they want and on a kindle, phone or iPad they get a hi res image in 5 seconds. Yeesh! Welcome to the future!
So that's what the Kid did, he searched and found the image he wanted. Eyeballed a quick pencil sketch, outlined in pen, then colored it in and after about 20 mins he had his complete Adventure Time drawing.

Thank you, Aunt Chrissy!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jaime said...

I can see whee the kid gets his artistic talent from! I couldn't draw this well if my life depended on it. Good job, kid!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:08:00 AM  
Anonymous chrissypedia said...

I love you and your kids! <3

PS I totally popped in the VHS and traced over the TV way back in the day.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home