Sunday, August 05, 2012

DIY Thanos hoodie

My friend Amy hosts geek girl craft days. We paint, glitter, decoupage and sew - all with a geeky slant. It's always a lot of fun and was even featured on the Today Show blog!

This time I knew exactly what I wanted to make. I got this amazing Marvel comics Thanos shirt from welovefine.com Thanos is big right now - I won't say why for spoiler reasons, but let's just say he's going to be a movie star soon. ~wink wink~ I think I'm a Thanos fan because of the Infinity Gauntlet, I love me some *bling*.
I started half the project at home (which involved cutting and ironing) and finished off the rest at the party.

I got a cheap but sturdy black hoodie from Old Navy for $12. After some planning the image seemed naturally round, so I thought a circle on the front of the hoodie with the zipper going through it would look the best.

Fusible double sided interfacing is helpful because it makes appliques easy to position and stay put. Both sides are sticky and have paper backings.

I cut off and discarded the back of the shirt then I peeled off one side of the paper backing and ironed the interfacing to the wrong side (the back of the image) of the shirt.
Because I'm a total professional (not) for a template I used the Kid's toy shield. Hey, I needed a perfect 15" round circle, what can I say.
Using Tailor's Chalk I outlined the circle over the image, then cut out the circle.

This left me with the image in a circle, backed with interfacing that still had it's paper backing.
Seeing as how the zipper was going to go straight through the image I cut the circle in half so I'd have two sides.

Peeling the second paper off the back, I positioned the two sides of the circular image into place.

Then I lightly ironed it to stick it onto the hoodie. (Note: I put a light towel over the image so that I wasn't ironing directly on the design.)
To increase the *bling* factor even more, I used twisted black-gold thread to sew an outline the around the circle. Now I admit, I have a high-end sewing machine which allows me to do over 40 different stiches with the touch of a button. So I used a nice finishing stich to outline the circle and the gold thread really came shining through, but a regular straight stich or zig-zag will work just as well.

I used plain black thread and sewed down the image on the zipper edge just to make the whole thing clean.
Just like that, I had my Thanos hoodie! The whole process took under and hour and as you can see I didn't even use a pattern. This is a great way to mod shirts that are the wrong size or that you just can't part with.

I could have gone one step further with the *bling* and added real stones for the Soul Gems, but let's not get crazy. As Coco Chanel once said, "When accessorizing, always take off the last thing you put on." I'm pretty sure she was talking about Thanos when she said that.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bully said...

THIS IS AWESOME.

Monday, August 06, 2012 5:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Jaime said...

Wow! You really are a super hero! You cook, bake, draw, design and sew. Your kids are lucky. Will you adopt me???

Monday, August 06, 2012 8:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home