Monday, September 17, 2012

San Francisco eats

Last week I went to San Francisco because I was a finalist in the Ghirardelli Bake Off. I love the food of San Francisco and everytime I go up north there are specific place that I MUST stop at. Here's a look at my food vacation:

 
My first stop almost of the plane is Benkyodo in Japantown. The little mochi shop is totally old school and the cases are filled with traditional Japanese confections.

This time I around I was lucky to get fresh mochi donuts filled with red beans. This is the stuff dreams are made of.
Another must-stop of mine is Miette. While they have a smaller outlet in the Ferry Building it's the Hayes Valley store that is near and dear to my heart. I like to stroll down to James Sime's Isotope to buy comics, then head over to Miette to stare at all the beautiful candy. I rarely say no to their pastry case either.

Speaking of the Ferry Building I always go in the morning so that I can spend all day eating there. So many choices, I simply must try them all. Acme Bread is a fave amongst SF locals and with good reason, the bread is amazing. I'm a sucker for olive rolls and at 85 cents I always buy a few to keep in my purse for the plane ride back.

Boccalone 'Tasty Salted Pig Parts' - need I say more? One of the founders of Boccalone is Chris Cosentino who is currently a contestant on Top Chef Masters. I'm rooting for him not only because I am a fan of his food but because he is playing for the Michael J Fox Foundation, who I am also a big fan of

Chris Cosentino's 'PIGG' is featured at Umamicatessen and has some amazing food which I've written about before. Here at Boccalone the salesperson recommeded the Orange and Fennel Salame and told me it was their best seller and I would not be disappointed. Upon hearing that I got it wrapped to go asap and headed on my way.

At the Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival, Ciao Bella was one of the gracious vendors who handed out FULL SIZE samples. So kind and generous, it was also delicious! The promo worked because I went to the shop and ended up buying and sampling many flavors!
The Ferry Building is filled with great places to eat but I always end up going back to Delica. The upscale Japanese bento is both beautiful an delicious. For lunch on this day I had sweet and spicy chicken with rice and the divine garlic wasabi potato salad.

 I lucked out and just as I was leaving I happened upon a vendor that had only been open in the Ferry Building for ONE DAY! Biscuit Bender had a cute little stand and the salesperson was so personable I couldn't help but stop and check out these gorgeous biscuits.

Just plain biscuits? Don't be crazy, these are special - light and flaky but FILLED with flavor. From savory to sweet the choices were abundant but the recommendation of the salesguy steered me towards the Cinnamon Bun Biscuit. I was not disappointed. They were melt in your mouth good and I pretty much ate that bag of three in one day, I'm not ashamed to say. I only wish I lived in SF so that I could stop and buy these fresh every week.

Sure Ghirardelli Square is touristy but that doesn't mean it isn't good. I adore the ice cream shop and I'm so glad one opened up here in Orange County at Disneyland.

They've expanded and now there are even more stores to choose from. I wondered why everyone was there so early for breakfast and it was the 'special' that brought them in, 'a free cup of coffee with a chocolate croissant.' That's the perfect tourist breakfast if there ever was one.

Going for that tourist breakfast makes perfect sense because then you can keep eating throughout the day. Right next to Ghirardelli Square by the wharf is the Blue Mermaid Chowder House. A chowder house MUST have good chowder, right? This did not disappoint.

The award winning Dungeness Crab and Corn Chowder was amazing. Not too creamy or heavy, just the right amount of well, everything. The sweet corn was a perfect match for the Dungeness Crab. It was so good I wanted to go back every day.

Those were the just a few highlights of my trip, there were so many more - some that are deserved of their own upcoming posts. For now I will look back fondly on these pics and start planning another trip to the Bay area.


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Bell said...

Have you ever been to 'wichcraft? my boyfriend's friend is their head manager and we just ate there like a month ago and it's freakin' amazing. and they have some awesome cookies.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home