Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Third Grade

Somehow Third Grade snuck up on me and I was totally unprepared. I feel like everything has suddenly changed. I no longer seem to have the answers, I'm being passed by for google and Siri. Such is life in the world where encylopedias are extinct.

Two weeks ago I got the paperwork I'd been dreading: The Third Grade Diorama. Oh lord. I am not a pushy mom and I refuse to do the kid's homework for them, but I knew this was going to be an undertaking even to watch.
The Kid studied and googled and even researched rock formations to find exactly what he wanted. Yeesh. This Kid is going to make a fine, firm-handed Creative Director someday.

Here's where all those years of us doing art every night after dinner is going to pay off, folks. The Kid knew just how he wanted this thing to be so he sketched it out and we went and bought the supplies.

We didn't have a shoebox and I refused to buy one, so - much to the Kid's despair he had to make do with my empty Boccalone salami box, aka the coolest diorama box ever. Chris Cosentino would be proud. The Kid: "But Mom, why don't you have a shoe box??" In our house we spend our money on cured meats, son.

The idea was to do a Desert Habitat. The Kid built it two-sided to show the animals during the DAY on one side and during the NIGHT on the other. Are you catching what I'm saying? This is actually TWO dioramas in one. Thankfully he was up to task as I sat back and hoped for no mental breakdowns. And by that  I mean from me, not him.

Years of doing architectural models made me want to jump in, but I just waited to see what he needed. I measured and cut out the blank backgrounds for him so that they popped right into the box and he drew and colored them as he saw fit.

Night was pretty simple. It's dark at night and certain animals are noctural. Easy enough. Although he did want to create a crazy rock formation with an opening for a sneaky snake to peek out. And then there was the handmade cactus made out of clay and toothpicks. Otherwise, night time in the desert was a breeze.

On to daytime in the desert!

There was much clay forming involved as his one sticking point was to make sure the prairie dog 'popped up' out of a hole. So there was cutting and fitting and more fitting, getting that prairie dog to sit just right.

A few colored backdrops, some rocks from our garden and he was done. Not a bad job at all. Now I'm counting on the Kid to help his brother when it's *his* turn to make a diorama NEXT year...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger sko_G knits said...

cute! (and ambitious)

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:28:00 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

That's excellent! Projects that are made by kids (as they should be) are by far the best ones.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home