Monday, December 17, 2012

Mochitsuki

With my mochi book out and the New Year around the corner, it's that time of year again...for mochitsuki!

Every year I go to the FoodLibrarian's house for mochitsuki.and like most mochi making it's usually closer to Japanese New Year's Day, the traditional day for eating mochi. But just recently O.G.'s church started to have their own mochitsuki earlier in December - probably to avoid the rush of the holidays. It's a good way for kids to learn about their heritage and experience the old tradition of mochi making.

The church had the 'usu' set up outside which is basically a giant mortar.
Steamed sweet rice is placed in an 'usu' and slightly softened.
Then they really go for it and hit with mallets called 'kine.' There are some hilarious videos of professionals pounding mochi in Japan, but out here we do it with less flair but still all of the fun!

Even the little kids got a turning at the pounding but it's not easy and why mochi machines are more popular today.

After the mochi was pounded it was taken inside to be formed.
Time to eat! There was a station with a bunch of mochi toppings: nori, daikon, natto, kinako, soy sauce and more. I am NO fan of natto or daikon for the matter, nope I stuck to my fave sato jyoyu - soy sauce and sugar and the Kid went for the salty seaweed wrapped around the warm mochi.
There was even special chocolate peanut butter filled mochi! I think these were for the kids but even the adults couldn't resist them (um, me). They were DELICIOUS and similar to my own peanut butter and jelly filled mochi and nutella mochi.
So much mochi, and I still want more! I can't wait til the New Year!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the shoyu-sugar mixture I've been eating since childhood is called "sato Jyoyu?" I'm going to have to tell my parents that. We just call it "shoyu-sugar sauce." We each mix our own base on how sweet we want it.

At my house we fry our mochi in butter and then eat it with the sato jyoyu. You should try it! It's yummy.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. "base" should be "based"

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home