Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Next Big Thing!

My friend Sarah tagged me in this meme where you talk about a project you’ve been working on. I decided to answer questions about my newest book - Mochi: recipes form savory to sweet! It's fitting that I am posting this today since mochi is a huge New Year's Day food and 2013 is just hours away!

The Next Big Thing: Mochi: recipes from savory to sweet!

Where did the idea come from for the book?
The idea for the book came from years and years of loving mochi. Like so many others I have tried those same old recipes over and over and I'm always looking to create something new. I knew that mochi was incredibly versatile and with foodie palettes being so adventurous these days I felt like it was time to put my own spin on a traditional Japanese ingredient.

What genre does your book fall under?
Definitely a cookbook. I'd done a comic cookbook before and while I drew some things for this book, I knew i wanted to focus more on the inventiveness of the recipes themselves this time around.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie 
rendition?
Well, there'd be no movie of my cookbook but of my comic cookbook, O.G.'s favorite recipes you can bet that O.G. would play herself. Though she is often used to be mistaken for an asian Betty White...

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
'Mochi: recipes from savory to sweet!' is full of recipes highlighting the distinctly chewy Japanese rice cake including traditional mochi favorites like chi chi dango and custard mochi to brand new modern recipes such as Mochi pizza, mochi donuts, even a mochi root beer bundt cake recipe! 


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I self published my book  because even though mochi is more well known than it used to be, there are still some people who don't know what it is and to get a book published by an agency highlighting an ingredient that is unfamiliar, well - it's not easy. Self publishing is always fun though because you definitely have more control. The book is currently available on amazon.com.


How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
I'd been writing down ideas for mochi recipes for years and then when I started refining it I really tested out the recipes to make sure they worked. Overall it took about two years, on and off.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I would compare my book to those old school church cookbooks you'd get from your grandma, or even those old Hawaiian airlines cookbooks. It's full of fun recipes that you'd love to bookmark and try out when you have the time.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
I think I was inspired to write the book because I'm always creating and testing recipes. I have over 450+ on my website and A few hundred more that I'm still refining and haven't posted. Hopefully people will enjoy a modern take on one of my favorite ingredients.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?    
Cooking doesn't have to be difficult or time consuming. I'm always busy too and feeding my kids delicious food from scratch is a priority for me. I hope people will appreciate how easy I try to make my recipes so that anyone can make them.

Here are the other super talented people that Sarah tagged: Javier Grillo-Marxuach, Karen Healey, Mariah McCourt, Michael Reisman.

As for who I'm tagging to go next, I wanted to highlight some fantastic female writers/creators/artists that I adore and also call friends. Check out these talented women!

Genevieve Tsai 
Genevieve is a talented artist and was my table neighbor at last year's San Diego Comic Con. Her whimsical art is so enchanting, she has a unique way of capturing beauty and geekiness together with grace. If the world looked like Genevieve's art it would be a beautiful and magical place!

Kristin Weber
Kristin started Shelf Pleasure as "a destination spot for women who love reading." The name alone makes me crack up but her years of being an editor shows that she knows her stuff and the website highlights some great books and introduces authors you may not have known about before.

Cecil Castellucci
I'm proud to call Cecil Castellucci a friend, she's a well known YA author with an impressive number of books to her name.From The Plain Janes, to Boy Proof, to her newest book The Year of Beasts, Cecil's writing captures the reader's imagination and garners numerous awards for her work.

Leslie Levings
Leslie is another con buddy, my good neighbor for years and years at Comic Con. Even though we live close by I enjoy seeing her once a year for a few days straight. She is an amazingly talented artist who creates these wonderful little Beastlies among other things.  I've been luckily to have watched her artistry grow over the years and now the world will find out how great she is since JJ Abrams has bought the rights to the Beastlies for a film and animated series!

Bonnie Burton
Bonnie is a talented author who has written many books but her love of Star Wars and crafts is why I love her the most. Her Star Wars Crafts book is a must for all Star Wars fans who want to make their own Jabba the Hutt body pillow or Admiral Ackbar sack puppet. She also hosted a fun craft program called Geek DIY on Stan Lee's youtube channel with a bunch of fun special guest stars! You can find Bonnie online and as the Social Media director for Revision3!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home